Taking 10 years to be completed, the construction of this square was contemporaneous with the first urban developments of capital in late 18th. Originally, the square was surrounded from the north, south, and west by two rows of arcades. Some believe that the original design of the square has been inspired by that of Naqsh-e Jahan Square in Isfahan. Later on, the chambers around the square gave their place to constructions which in turn were destroyed, or replaced by other buildings in the following periods. By the end of the Qajar era, the old layout of the square was changed (1921 to 1940).